The single best way to improve your relationship with your horse is to have the desire. Once you have the intention, you will have the motivation to seek out new ways of interacting with your horse. That path will lead you to explore and exploration means learning. Below is the top ten ways and a great place to start.
How to Develop A Better Relationship With Your Horse
- Share space and time with your horse without an agenda. This may mean just grabbing a chair and sitting in the field with them or just hanging out with them doing what they do. Give your horse time to explore you without you having demands.
- Use rewards in your training to signal that yes you really liked what they just did.
- Say thank you.
- If your horse isn’t willing, change your approach.
- Vow to never use physical violence.
- Always be patient. They are with us.
- Always look at the situation from your horse’s point of view.
- Never train when your horse is scared or uncomfortable.
- Learn your horse’s personality and work with it, not against it.
- Keep it fun!